Saturday, November 7, 2009

Robocop



Pencil sketch inked on a Cintiq using Manga Studio 4. Which seems strangely apropos for Robocop.

I'm still finding my way with both the cintiq and manga studio, but I've become so comfortable with a brush and paper that I suspect the cintiq will get most use from touch ups. I had hoped to use it for layouts/pencils or inks, but, as I pencil at A4 and enlarge and then print, it means I'm pretty fast doing it all the old fashioned way. It is invaluable for correcting mistakes - certainly much better than the Wacom graphic tablet that I had before -and I had more time I'd probably get stuck into it properly. I've turned the pen tool way up to 5.10mm to get this brushy feel, big and bold inking is fun on the cintiq, much more fun than real life - but I lack the control that I need, at least so far.

My mate Rob Williams is writing Robocop for Dynamite and you can read an interview with Rob about it here. Sounds like great fun. (Dynamite also publish Battlefields - of which my three issues are now complete, and the first issue is set for December - so BUY THAT TOO!)

-pj

5 comments:

Will Sliney said...

Lovely, that must be a really fun book to draw. Nice one PJ

Declan Shalvey said...

Nicccce. I really like how blocky it was. I was actually gonna do a Robocop myself... guess i'll have to come up with something else...

Stephen Thompson said...

There's always this Dec http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/dos-games/995-1.jpg

Will Sliney said...

Wow, theres a blast from the past

Stephen Mooney said...

Great inks/lighting on this badboy.