Monday, November 29, 2010

Harryhausen Skeleton Warrior

I tried to convince myself that I didn't have time to do a proper piece this week, but I couldn't help myself. I have so many indelible memories of Ray harryhausen's incredible creations seared onto my mindgrapes since childhood. All those saturday afternoons sitting on the floor in front of the telly watching Jason and the Argonauts, Clash of the Titans, The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad et al. Of all the amazing creatures he brought to life(Talos, Kali, The Cyclops, Medusa, The Gorgon, the giant scorpions.... classics all), the sequence I still remember thrilling to the most as a kid was the one in Jason and the Argonauts where Jason and his crew face off against the 'children of hydra', or the skeleton warriors as they're more commonly known.
Just utterly brilliant cinema, Harryhausen injected such life and personality into those bony feckers; it repeatedly blew my tiny mind.

7 comments:

Mansloth said...

Harryhausen week is a great idea. Fantastic picture to start it off.

Liam Geraghty said...

Great piece Mooney! One of the films I remember every inch of since I was a kid.

Stephen Thompson said...

Lovely. I assumed this'd be your choice. really like the foreshortening on the sword.

Stephen Mooney said...

Thanks Liam. I remember every inch of you.

Declan Shalvey said...

Nicely done sir. I like the marker work a lot.

LEN said...

This is so much fun man- well done.

Liam Geraghty said...

I knew stripping off for 'Mooneys Naked Body Research Photos' would come back to haunt me.