Tuesday, September 1, 2009

DEFOE






















Been meaning to do this for a while.

One of the best things about going to comic conventions is meeting fellow pros. Meeting other artists who go through the same daily grind was such a revelation to me when I was really getting into comics but even better than that was that finding out some of those pros were darned great people too. One of those folk is Leigh Gallagher.

Leigh is a lovely (and a pretty darned handsome) fella who has been slogging away on his master work for the last couple of years; 2000AD's Defoe, written by Pat Mills. Leigh has been producing great black and white work for ages now, and the first collection has been released this month and I urge all who read this to go check it out. Above is my take on the main character and some 17th Century zombies.

The story;

London, 1668. It is two years since the city was devastated by the Great Fire, the inferno caused by a comet passing over the capital. But from the ashes rose the undead, hungry for the flesh of the living. Protecting the populace are zombie hunters like Titus Defoe, a former soldier who now makes it his mission to purge the ghouls.

If you can't find it in your local comic shop, check these sites for a copy...
AMAZON, FORBIDDEN PLANET INTERNATIONAL and THE BOOK DEPOSITORY

Highly Recommended.

And feel free to see more about the book, along with lots of great 'making of' posts on Leigh's blog.

Dec.

15 comments:

Leigh G said...

Duuuude....you lovely little Irish man!

If I ever die during an orgy with women covered in baby oil, I want YOU to pick up my paint brush and fineliners, wear my underwear, and take over Defoe for me!

Thanks matey. It's a fantastic piece.

Declan Shalvey said...

Hey, we're ALL Irish here... that's kinda the point.

No worries man; my pleasure. Really glad you like it.

I'll wear your underwear, but after that; i can't promise anything.

Unknown said...

Dude! That is awesome! I'd love to see a Declan Shalvey prog cover when Defoe book 4 comes out! Tharg... get on it!

Will Sliney said...

Defoe would kick Selinas Ass. Nice work Dec. Great image

Stephen Mooney said...

Ha, that's great. Loving the zombie on the left with his tongue out. Little guy's got moxie.

Bob Byrne said...

'fellow pros'

David Ferguson said...

Wow. Easily the best piece you've posted. Fantastic.

Stephen Thompson said...

Nice effort Mooney, but that zombie with his tongue out is on the right. You'll get it one of these days big guy...

Declan Shalvey said...

Jesus Mooney...

Stephen Mooney said...

For Christ's sake, I actually thought about that before I wrote it and everything...

I'm a livin' joke.

Stephen Thompson said...

Also excellent picture Dec, I like the bit of Parlov rendering on the shoulder of his cape.

Liam Geraghty said...

Fantastic piece, Dec. Definitely going to check this comic out.

Lisa said...

Maybe Mooney meant stage left. That's my favorite zombie too, there's something a little Quentin Blakey about him.

Nick said...

I know nothing of Defoe (until now) but colour me (grey) well fucking intrigued. Excellent work, Deccles. King Komposition strikes again.

Graeme Neil Reid said...

cool, I like it a lot :)