Monday, August 2, 2010

Magical Mystery Studio Tour

So I'll get the ball rolling on our 'Studio Tours' week here on the old Mickage blog.
After I got married a couple years back, we moved into our new house. I got the chance to design my perfect studio/imagination bachelor pad since we were having the house built from scratch.
I of course made sure to urinate on the structure every few weeks during the building process so as to assert my territorial claim on the land.

And so to the studio. I found it hard to take any one picture that encompassed the whole room as it's pretty large, so I'll take you round it in bite-sized chunks. The walls haven't been properly painted yet, so forgive that aspect, I'm thinking a nice azure blue. I made sure to take the opportunity to tidy the place up before taking the photos, as who doesn't love laborious housecleaning?

Picture the first:
This is my computer desk and work area. I recently got the new i7 27-inch imac and am totally in love with it. If I weren't already married I'd make it my wife. You can see my toy cabinet on the left with some of my japanese masterpiece edition transformers. On top of the cabinet is the picture of Thompson I keep for inspiration and arousal. Over the computer hangs my original Adam Hughes cover art for a Batman issue. The shelves hold various art and reference books, eg the Complete Calvin and Hobbes, various art of books(Drew Struzan, Mike Mignola, Sebastian Krúger... etc). You can also make out the cool Raiders Lego in front of the Gorillaz boxes.
My drawing board adjacent to the computer desk, where all the 'magic' happens....
Some more shelves and drawers on the left hold original art and supplies. More transformers up top.
Graphic novels underneath.
Another shot of that side of the room. Note the sweet Technic Lego Ferrari Enzo and the countless versions of Trivial Pursuit I've collected over the years. Comicbooks on the shelves underneath. These are the ones I haven't been able to find in trade form, and so hang onto.
A view of the other end of the room, with the bar on the left and the lounge area on the right.
Close up of the bar. I imagine once i develope the inevitable drinking problem that this will become an issue. A wee nip of courage in the morning before, during, and after work never hurt anybody, right?
On top of the bar among the various bottles is the lovely Nespresso machine I got as a wedding present. Sweet java eases the pain. That's Angel Puppet from the 'Smile Time' episode of the show taking a load off on the recliner. He's earned it.
This is the lounge area, where I get my movie/videogame on. The room has great acoustics for the surround sound, so this is where I spend most of my (minimal) spare time. Had a great couple of days recently with Dec killing zombies on Left 4 Dead 2. On the wall Thunderball-era Sean Connery surveys proceedings. You can see 'Cover Run', Adam Hughes' new art of book on the coffee table.
The teeny pic on the windowsill is of the wife, Jackie. Note the pretentious decanter of Brandy on the side table.


 View of the other end of the room from the TV. That's our stuffed penguin, Charlie, knocking out some z's. I really need to paint those walls...
My DVD shelves beside the drawing table. On top of them are my sideshow Buffy/Angel toys, and the wondrous Lego Milenium Falcon. Beside those is the beautiful premier edition sideshow statue of Indiana Jones from Raiders, my favourite toy. Jackie bought it for me as a wedding gift. She also got me a macbook as an engagement present after I gave her the ring. Truly she is the king of kings.
And finally the other side of the room, with the guest artist desks. On the wall is my original Ivan Reis art, the double-page splash of all of the yellow lanterns approaching Earth from Green Lantern issue 24. My two brothers got it for me as a wedding present, and I adore it. Also on the wall is a photo of the future(bigamy-permitting) other Mrs. Mooney, the delectable Ms. Portman.
Some mook posing as an artist.

19 comments:

g gfdg said...

I'd keep Dec away from any Macbook, he knows why.

That looks well cosy though Mooney, good stuff.

Stephen Mooney said...

That's his own machine, John. I'm not that crazy.

PJ Holden said...

Man, that's a sweet studio. The question is: how much of that will you have to give up when your wife permits you to impregnate her...

ps It may be dec's machine, but he's using your IP address ...

Stephen Mooney said...

I won't have to give it up at all Peej, it's in our pre-nup. In ten years time I'm putting a dumb-waiter in the wall and a bed in there and hermetically sealing myself inside.

PJ Holden said...

Dammit, that's what I should have done...

My drawing space is at an all time low...

Ciaran Lucas said...

Thats one hell of a setup man. Looks great.

Superhilbo! said...

Such a cool set up!! Expensive I take it but so feckin worth it!!!

Stephen Mooney said...

It was expensive to set up, but I spend literally all day every day up there working so I figure i may as well make the space as pleasant an environment as possible.

jacintha said...

@Stephen...I truly am the king of kings! @Pj..who said I was going to allow him to impregnate me?

Anonymous said...

..."Who would live in a House like this?"
Let the voyerism begin...very cool to have a sneak peek.
Holy Shit !!!
Wow,what a cool place,you could live in there...& here's me thinking imac was just a hair remover.
Love how you have prepared yourself for Alcoholism !!!
Can this (work?) place be topped?!?!
Next...

Stephen Thompson said...

Top this place? Hell no, this week is going to be a slow decline from Mooney's sublime studio, through Declan's bedroom, to Nicks's tiny drawing nook in a house filled with Transformer toys.

JayKent said...

I think we can safely say most are nooks surrounded by by scraps of paper, crayons and an overflowing bin that you will eventually empty.........

Conor said...

Purpose built studio with movie/games area AND bar? I was obviously thinking too small...

Fantastic!

*throws plans away and starts again*

nickrunge said...

That's an incredible studio dude!! You've got good taste.

I wish having a studio apartment actually meant having space for a nice studio....haha...oh well.


Sweet set-up though!

Mark Kardwell said...

Tidiest comicker's studio I've ever seen.

Rich said...

I hate you so much right now Mooney, seriously nice set up you lucky bastard. Puts my drawing desk shoved in the corner of the living room to shame. Your wife is a very kind woman to let you have the space, but I give it a year before she slowly starts to move in.

jacintha said...

2years in and I haven't taken any of his space yet! What's with all the wife bashing... Jeez

Stephen Mooney said...

Nah the studio's on my side of the house Rich, so no danger of that.
We've divided the place up with masking tape ala I Love Lucy.

Leigh G said...

Ok, first of all I take FULL credit into bugging you to do this, so YOU'RE WELCOME EVERYONE!

Next...dude...I am in awe of the beauty of this place, and yes, I will admit defeat. It pisses all over mine.

I can't believe you have a bar and a lounge area! And such cool toys....

I am giving you a standing ovation as I type this.

Yes, I am typing with my penis.