Monday, August 9, 2010

Party like it's 1999

A reeeaaaallly old one today, just for yuks. I drew this Grifter way back in '99, when I was 21, during Travis Charest's second run on the Wildcats book. I was mad for all things Grifter, it just didn't get any more nineties for me. Looking back at this is kinda painful, as the staging is AWFUL(the muzzle-flash from his pistol isn't even on the freakin' page), the motorcycle is completely made up and wacky, and it's over-rendered within an inch of it's life(as was everything I used to draw). Still, has the odd bit of decent draftsmanship here and there, and more importantly it brings back very fond memories of drawing all day everyday, and dreaming of life as a professional comicbook artist.

Ah, memories....

4 comments:

Stephen Thompson said...

Don't worry Mooney, it'll happen for you one of these days. Do you remember that I laid out a couple of pages leading up to this splash for you to do as a sample? It featured a couple of guys robbing a diner where Grifter was eating and then him chasing them down on the bike.

Will Sliney said...

This kids got a bright future ahead of him

Stephen Mooney said...

Do I remember, Thompson? I have them stored with this very piece. I will treasure them always. That or I came across em by accident when chucking out old art.

Ian said...

Framing, lack of reference and some funky anatomy aside... it's Grifter, riding a motorbike, firing a gun +10!