Thursday, August 5, 2010

Our Studio by Stephen Thompson


I've shared a studio with my girlfriend, painter and illustrator Lisa Jackson, for more than four years now so this place is a bit of a mixed bag. Starting from the left we have a big bank of built in wardrobes where I store a lot of my comics and various assorted crapola. Stuck to the front of these is a bit of paper where I mark off my pages when they're done. Then some IKEA shelving of dubious build quality which hold novels, manga and heavy art books/absolute editions along the bottom. Lisa keeps her creepy japanese dolls along the top of the shelves. Beside these are a skinnier set of shelves which hold dvds. In the centre of the room we have our desks facing each other so we can get lost in each other's eyes when we not working. Lisa has an easel set up to her left to fulfil her painty needs. On my desk I have the Cintiq front and centre 'cause I do almost all my work on that these days. Behind the monitor you can see the A3 scanner/printer for the rare occasions when I do physical art, nothing worse than having to stitch bits of a page together on Photoshop. Behind that are the windows (which always have the blinds down) and the door to the balcony. Then we have my big squishy office chair and behind that are the shelves that hold comics with art I really love, close at hand. And then that just leaves the door.

7 comments:

Stephen Mooney said...

Cool landscaped multi-picture effect! Wish I'd thought of that for mine. I actually really like the layout of the studio in your apartment, it strikes a great balance between cosy and spacious. Lotta cool swag in there too. You must be the only one of us that shares a studio these days. Does the fact that you and Lisa have been sharing for 4 years mean its that long since we were in the bayside studio or is it even longer?

Stephen Thompson said...

Hmm, maybe slightly longer but I think it's pretty much 4 or 4 and a half years now.

Anonymous said...

Can never have enough crapola!

Leigh G said...

Another lovely studio set up there--very professional. Love the fact that you can share it with your girlfriend. That's usually the downside of being a stay at home freelancer--no one to talk to.

Though I can just imagine Mooney thinking "Nah naahhh" to the rest of us mortals whilst he's up in his golden palace....

Bob Byrne said...

That's really sweet the way the two of you are face to face like that. Personally it would drive me mad sharing but it works for you. You're both lucky to have found each other man. I tried to find the female equivalent of me and turns out it was Aileen Wuornos.

JayKent said...

hmmmm think my favourite of the "art spaces" so far, what I'd give for some book shelves, Ikea you say.......

Declan Shalvey said...

Yeah, ye have a great set up.

Tell us more about this 'door'